Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday's with Dorie...chocolate cream pie, my way!

Chocolate Cream Pie with a Layer of Caramel
in a Pretzel Crust!

I was really looking forward to this week's recipe. I love chocolate cream pie. I love Sonic's chocolate cream pie blended thingy....

When looking at the recipe I decided that a chocolate pie crust was not what I wanted to do...I needed to mix it up a little. So I went the salty sweet way....I decided to make a Pretzel Crust! I food processed up some pretzels, mixed in a little salt and sugar and some melted butter to bind it all together. I baked it and was happy when the second time around it held together as a nice tart crust! I also decided to 1/4 the recipe and make two little tarts.....better for my figure and I think they are just cute as can be! A whole chocolate cream pie has no place in my kitchen! And friends are too far away to be taking treats to them every week....so I plan it into my diet these days. It seems to be working.

Back to the pies..... I also decided that to go with the salty pretzel crust that there needed to be a layer of caramel. I think I made it a little too think...but we will see. This was the perfect chance for me to use some of the AMAZING Askinosie chocolate that I got in the mail a couple of months ago.....it is a Mexican 75% dark chocolate....do dark....see?





The chocolate cream in this pie is so rich...I LOVE IT! And I used some of my fantastic vanilla sugar to sweeten the whipped cream just a touch! Absolutely perfect. This pie is rich, creamy, chewy, salty, chocolatey and absolutely phenomenal. I will be making it over and over again.

Be sure to check out the other TWDr's here, and see all their wonderful creations.
And thank you to Kim, from Scrumptious Photography, for choosing this wonderful dessert.

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

Take Care,
Tania
Love Big, Bake Often

7 comments:

Maria said...

Oh yea, that looks good! I love pretzels and chocolate together!

CB said...

Holy Sweet&Salty Batman! Pretzel and chocolate in a tart? Equals genius! So putting that on my must-bake list! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Jen H said...

LOVE salty and sweet combo. Looks awesome!

Rachelle S said...

Great idea for a pretzel crust! Yum! How inthe world do you have chocolate left from months ago?? loo, it never lasts in our house.

TeaLady said...

Pretzel crust. How creative. Sweet and salty. Looks delicious.

PheMom said...

Shut. Up. Pretzel crust? You are now officially my hero. Yum!!!

Bungalow Barbara said...

Wow -- crunchy, creamy, gooey -- salty, sweet, chocolatey (and such wonderful chocolate)! Superb! You're a genius!